Become a versatile and profound musician and teacher
STUDIES AT IPOP
Instrumental and Vocal Teacher
(IVP Popular Music)
Degrees: Bachelor, Master
The students should achieve an adequate international level in teaching abilities and also in instrumental/artistic areas and should – based on an openminded musical concept – increase the musical diversity in the educational system.
Subjects of study:
- Main artistic subjects: vocals, saxophone, trumpet, keyboards, guitar, bass, drums & percussion
- Other artistic subjects: brass instruments, improvisation, composition and arrangement, ear training, rhythm training, ensemble practice, big band, songwriting, practical courses (keyboards, guitar, computer, studio, …), music production, performance, …
- Pedagogical subjects: didactics and teaching practice
- Scientific subjects: theory and history of popular music, music business, …
COURSES FOR THE FOLLOWING STUDIES
IPOP – DEPARTMENT OF POPULAR MUSIC
Tasks and goals
The “ipop”, founded in 2002, is unique in many respects: It combines under one roof the creation and playing of music, the learning and teaching of music, and the researching into and writing about music. The department’s offerings include artistic subjects such as voice, saxophone, keyboard instruments, guitar, bass, drums and percussion, composing and arranging, ensemble practice, educational subjects like didactics and teaching practice, and academic subjects such as the theory and history of popular music, with the option of completing a doctoral programme.
In addition, the department covers an immense stylistic spectrum: jazz, fusion, world music, rock, metal, electronic, musicals, folk, blues, Latin, crossovers with classical and folk music, and much more. From experimental improvisation and soul, funk, and pop to folkloric entertainment: all of this can be the subject of a high-quality practical or theoretical exploration. Seen this way, the ipop covers about 90% of the music that currently exists in the world.
- The training of outstanding artists who can hold their own in the Austrian music market and beyond
- The training of outstanding music teachers who enrich the musical diversity of the Austrian education system
- The training of academically solid researchers in the area of popular music
The Department of Popular Music is divided into two subject areas: artistic subjects and the academic area
With this structure, the ipop not only sets standards in music and teacher education; it also supports academic research in the field of popular music in Austria and other European countries and conveys this knowledge to its students.